Sunday 26 June 2016
Noyses, Sounds and Sweet Aires
A celebration of William Shakespeare's 400th Anniversary
3.00pm, Great Hall, Dartington
Since the purchase of the Dartington Hall Estate in 1925 by Leonard and Dorothy Elmhirst, the Arts have been an integral part of its activities. The founder Trustees welcomed and encouraged participation by the local community.
In 1942 when Imogen Holst was invited to join the staff at Dartington to train young music students, she established both an orchestra and a choir to which all the community were welcome. Dartington College of Arts continued this tradition with local participation in the college choir until 1982 when in the autumn of that year a new choir was formed known as the Dartington Community Choir. Membership was to be non-auditioned and open to all who wished to participate in choral singing.
With the kind permission of the Dartington Trustees the Dartington Community Choir was able to use the venue vacated by the previous choir. To this day the choir is privileged to rehearse and hold concerts in the magnificent 15th Century Great Hall at Dartington.